Powered By Blogger

Jesus’ fifth statement: “I Thirst!” (with sermon video)

John 19:28-29 (KJV)  After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.  Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.

Of the seven last statements of Jesus as he hung on Calvary’s Cross, the fifth statement is the shortest statement.  Usually, when one talks about thirst, one references their physiological need to overcome dryness in the mouth and throat brought on by a need for water.  In light of Jesus’ blood loss, His physical exhaustion, and the smothering heat, Jesus was certainly thirsty.  However, I must contend that Jesus was not concern about meeting His own physiological needs.  Jesus was focused on fulfilling mankind’s redemption, and thereby denying Himself.  According to Matthew 16:24, Jesus taught us to strive to do this as well, “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.”

Instead of crying out for His physiological needs to be fulfilled, Jesus was acknowledging what He was craving for the most.  Jesus had an eager desire to fulfill the details of prophesies, and a strong desire for the presence of God the Father.  Psalm 42:1,2 reads, “As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.  My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?” 

In our sojourning here in this life, our souls often cry for a power that is extremely greater than itself.  As we face life’s difficulties, heartaches, trials, and tribulations, we long for the abiding presence of God.  The week I handled this portion of scripture, I had the painful home-going celebration of my beloved oldest sister.  My tears flowed.  However, my tears were not of one who had no hope.  I trusted and adored our God of creation.  I merely long for God’s abiding presence.  Look within yourself and recognize your own need for God’s presence in your life.  As you recognize your need for God’s presence, do all you can to draw closer to our God of all comfort.   James 5:8a records this encouragement and promise, “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.”

With the love of Christ Jesus,
Rev. Dr. A.L. Purham, Sr., Pastor
Freedom Baptist Church of Duncan, SC

#Freedom
#Church

Bible-based Ministry Archive