Powered By Blogger

Stir up the Gift of God (with sermon video)

2 Timothy 1:3-8

3 I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day; 4 Greatly desiring to see thee, being mindful of thy tears, that I may be filled with joy; 5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also. 6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands. 7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; 


Apostle Paul writes this letter to encourage his son in the ministry. In this letter, Paul is informing Timothy that he is praying for him, and also is informing Timothy how his faith reminds him of the faith that was first in his grandmother, and then in his mother as well.

Timothy had been distressed, to the point of crying, over either the imprisonment of Paul, or about what Paul had said on the last time they were together, "you shall see my face no more." (Acts 20:38)Many of us can identify with being distressed, disappointed, or being discouraged in ministry. Anyone who is actively involved in ministry will encounter some form of distress, discouragement, or despair in ministry. Some may even want to throw up their hands and quit!   Instead of quitting, consider this advice of Paul; "Stir up the gift of God!"  

Stir it up, as in place the gift that God has given you into the mix with what you already have. The gift that Paul is talking about was imparted onto Timothy by the laying on of hands by Paul. Every believer has been blessed with at least one gift. This gift was imparted onto you as a believer the moment you were baptized with the Holy Spirit of God. Don't allow distress, disappointment, or even despair discourage you from using what God has given you.


Distress, disappointment, or any negative experiences can create fear within us and prevent us from serving effectively, or prevent us from serving at all. However, God has not given us the Spirit of fear.  Fear is not something that God imparts to us. God has given us a sound mind, or self discipline, along with power or authority, mingled with our Love for God to empower us to serve Him even in the midst of difficulty.  Even if you must bear your own personal cross, bear it!  One hymn writer wrote, "Must Jesus bear the cross alone, and all the world go free.  No, there is a cross for everyone, and there is a cross for me." 

Stir up the Gift of God within you!  Rekindle your spiritual fervor!  Regain your zest, or abiding love for God! 

 "The consecrated Cross I'll bear, till Christ shall set me free, and then go home, for my crown to wear, for there is a Cross for me!" 

Committed to Serve,
Dr. A.L. Purham, Sr., Pastor
The Freedom Church of Duncan, SC

#Freedom
#Church

Bible-based Ministry Archive